Teachings for our Time – The Potter’s Clay

Posted by BB | Labels: , , | Posted On 14 February, 2010 at Sunday, February 14, 2010

Each month at least one lesson is prepared in church designed to be pulled from a talk given in General Conference. This is known as a “Teaching for our Time.” I like the name and whenever I feel a hit of spiritual inspiration I will have a Sunday post dedicated to that thought. It will address a topic of concern for me as a gay mormon boy in regards to the Church. They will not be regular and will fluctuate like the Saturday Delight posts. I hope that they can help those who read and convey to those who read this as a history of my life what I was thinking from a spiritual perspective. These thoughts will not follow the timeline of the rest of the story, but reflect my current thoughts as of the date the post was published. So sit back and hold onto your butts!

In the past couple of weeks the gay mormon blogger friends I have made have written several posts questioning, postulating, and testifying on the concept of the eternal nature of homosexuality. Some believe it to be only a mortal flaw, others an eternal facet of our character. Scott had a wonderful post about it that you should read here.

While reading these posts I didn’t quite know where I stood on the issue. Was I born gay or did I have gayness thrust upon me? Will it be with me forever or will it be taken from me after I die? I didn’t have an answer and it was the proverbial pebble in my shoe; that is until I took my mind off of things for a moment to play a round of the video game Civilization IV.

Throughout the game you discover technologies and with each discovery a quotation is read that loosely pertains to that technology. Well as I played and “discovered” pottery the narrator a passage that seemed to answer my questions intuitively.

Hath not the potter power over the clay to make one vessel unto honour, and another unto dishonour?

It seemed like too simple of an answer and yet there that line hung in my mind all day. As I awoke the next day and was reading my scriptures I thought again about the passage. Could it really be that simple? I was created; doesn’t a creator have power over his creations? Could my gay attraction be “wrong” to the world and yet what was meant to be?

As I read the Romans 9 closer I realized the depth of what that simple message was telling me. God created me precisely how I am. I am meant to have these attractions. It cannot be stated that Satan turned me gay because I can trace these attractions to before I was baptized. I was put on a path designed to have me become a gay mormon boy. I think believe that my attractions were created by God; they were stitched into every cell and sinew of my body as I grew inside my mother’s womb.

I don’t pretend to know the mind or purpose of God, but I do know that I was created this way. It is no coincidence that Romans 9 is a Pauline discussion on foreordination. He discusses how the one man or people can be placed above another prior to being born according to the election of God; that God created Moses’ Pharaoh for the expressed purpose of declaring his name throughout the earth. It is then that Paul states a beautiful line:
Shall the thing formed say to him that formed it, Why hast thou made me thus?
Hath not the potter power over the clay, of the same lump to make one vessel unto honour, and another unto dishonour? - Romans 9:20-21

Could it really be that my Creator created me thus? that in the grand scheme of things I am meant to be gay? I believe that it is true. I believe that I was foreordained to be attracted to men. God has some plan in mind that requires me to be attracted to men. I do not know why; but I cannot help but know that a God of justice will not punish me for being how I was created to be; and a God of mercy will love me as his son and open my eyes to see why I was created thus.

Before I had this understanding I was just as the Gentile Christians wondering how they would receive the glory of God when they were not the chosen people. How would an “abomination” like me receive the glory of God? Now having read this beautiful passage I know that, just as the Gentiles, I will be called beloved. Paul refers to a scripture in Hosea that is amazingly beautiful. I leave it with you as a closing to my testimony.

”I will say to them which were not my people, Thou art my people; and they shall say, Thou art my God.“ - Hosea 2:23

Amen.

Comments:

There are 9 Words of Warning for Teachings for our Time – The Potter’s Clay