A New Year for a renewed life - Part 5

Posted by BB | Labels: , , , | Posted On 19 February, 2010 at Friday, February 19, 2010

I, Beloved Boyd, am a Gay Mormon Boy and everything I say here is the truth to the best of my knowledge:

Brother Black’s name flashed into my mind, I took a step into the font and then his name was wiped from my memory. I had forgotten his name but clung onto who he was. Brother Black had been my New Testament teacher at BYU Freshman year. I knew I had to contact him. I entered into the waters and Max baptized me for 10 more people.

I left the font and rushed home, convinced to get into contact with Brother Black. I looked online at the religion teachers and couldn’t make out his face amongst them. I called BYU and found out his name from the registrar’s office looked up his CV online. He was fluent in Ancient Greek and Hebrew. How miraculous.

I emailed him asking “Brother Black … As you are the only person who I have personally met who understands Greek and Hebrew and is a member of the Church, I turn to you with some of my questions. Here's to the hope that you will be able and willing to answer my translation questions.
Sincerely,
Boyd, a member looking for answers.”

9 minutes later I got this response!

“Boyd, I’m happy to respond to your questions and help out where I am able to.”
I asked, still timid; “Before I get to my main question concerning the translation from Greek and Hebrew of New and Old Testaments respectively, I wanted to ask, does the Complete Joseph Smith translation supersede the need to look back to the Greek and Hebrew for interpretive meaning?” - I was asking to see if the Hebrew needed to be read given the JST.
“Going back to the original language still has value because it provides additional insights into the meaning of terms, phrases, context, etc., which is beyond the scope of the Joseph Smith Translation.”
Here was my response to him and the questions I asked him:

“Let me preface this by saying that I have taken a lot of time considering this issue and am seeking the truth of the matter, not to justify myself. I have struggled over this issue as a whole for a long time, but the concept of a mistranslation only entered my mind last week. All of this has given me great strife and tumult as I have considered everything, so much so that I tried to kill myself. That being said, I struggle with Same-gender attraction and scriptures I refer to are those that condemn it as a sin. I have to wonder why it is condemned as such and when I discover in my search the possibility of a mistranslation I have to find the truth, and so it is with that design that I turn to you.

"I have read that the Hebrew word used for "abomination" is "To'eba" which is used primarily to describe ritual impurities and Idolatry and when outright sin is the aim of the prophets, a different word is used. Given that translation, homosexual acts are idolatrous not an abomination. Is this translation and interpretation correct given the context of Leviticus 18 , which talks about avoiding the idolatry of Egypt and Canaan?

“From the context of Leviticus 18 do we know if the sins of Egypt and Canaan were the literal sins listed, or that the overall message was one of idolatry, and not the act of gay sex itself? Could it have instead been the ritualizing and worshiping of the act, placing the acts of homosexuality above God?”

His response will have to wait until a special Saturday post.

Comments:

There are 3 Words of Warning for A New Year for a renewed life - Part 5