A New Year for a renewed life - Part 2

Posted by BB | Labels: , | Posted On 16 February, 2010 at Tuesday, February 16, 2010

I, Beloved Boyd, am a Gay Mormon Boy and everything I say here is the truth to the best of my knowledge:

And now we resume your regular programming on the Boyd Timeline.

So here I was a few days before New Years and I had time to myself with Walter in the hospital and mom visiting him whenever she had the chance. I truly wanted to know what I was meant to do. I wanted to know what was right and all I ended up with was a wall.

I was frustrated and tired and in the short time before I went back to school I took stock of my situation. Here I was, a gay mormon boy with no idea what I was going to do with myself. I felt a kinship with Paul who, in Galatians, instructed the people not to follow the words of man, but the true gospel of Jesus Christ as given in divine revelation. I wanted to follow that truth of God and not of men.

I threw myself at scriptures and commentaries to fully show that I was like Mahonri Moriancumer, willing to work out the problems in my own mind to my best effort. It was the only way I could exercise faith in action and so I studied. Then one day I was watching the news. In the footage about Prop 8 there was a Jewish Couple getting married under a tent. This struck me as odd because Leviticus seemed to be the singular solid stone against homosexuality.

Leviticus had, in my study, been the bedrock on which hung all the words of the prophets. I began to look at how the Jews viewed homosexuality and I was surprised at the contrast between Judaism and Mormonism. A synagogue in NYC might allow gay marriage and one in Chicago might disavow it. The contrast to the structure of the Church blew my mind.

As I researched more and read more I learned a few reasons why some Jews are fine with and even advocate for gay marriage.

1. The Humane View – “As Jews we recognize that our gay brothers and sisters are still our family and our friends and they deserve our love above even our religion”

2. The Demographic View – “The homosexuality discussed in Leviticus was about lust and sex instead of love. Today homosexuality and gay marriage is about honoring a commitment for each other, not pagan temple rites”

3. The Mistranslation View – “There is a key word in the bible that is mistranslated. That word is what is called ‘abomination’ today. In Hebrew the word stands as something that makes one ritually unclean. Many of the same rules regarding ritual cleanliness do not apply because the Temple in Jerusalem was destroyed”

In looking at these varying views I was left more confused; more frustrated; more desirous to know the truth. I spent hours pouring over the scriptures, online commentaries, and my own patriarchal blessing. Finally, after I had exhausted my mind, I broke down and cried. I hadn’t come any closer to truth and knowledge, just more pontifications of man.

At the end of my weeping I made a commitment to myself. The next day I was going to get up and do baptisms for the dead. I would enter sacred ground and seek with earnest intent the will of the Lord for me.

Comments:

There are 2 Words of Warning for A New Year for a renewed life - Part 2