My Four Friends – Hal

Posted by BB | Labels: , , | Posted On 23 December, 2009 at Wednesday, December 23, 2009

I, Beloved Boyd, am a Gay Mormon Boy and everything I say here is the truth to the best of my knowledge:

In my last two posts I mentioned that I met Nicholas and Hidalgo both before I moved. Well when I moved I left behind my school, my ward, and my best friends. When I moved I had nobody. My ward was full of ruddy, crude and rowdy boys who had grown up together. I was the consummate new kid and so I became a loner. My school was an entire grade behind my old studies so that left me with little to do and it seemed like my best friends were in another country. I had no one.

I tried to fill the void with activities. I joined the football team for a year, was in the upper division of my schools wrestling squad and still was alone. I would come home from practice and would be left with little to do. Sure I went to church activities and scouts, but I was never really a part of the crowd, I was always looking in from the outside.

After about a year and a half of this, my mother decided that she had had enough and that I was going to be active in something else that might help me find friends. By this time I was done with football and wrestling and was looking at taking theatre. My mom came into my room and gave me a catalogue of courses from the local community college. She told me that I had to pick one but she didn’t care which.

As I flipped through the catalog I noticed a couple of acting classes, some voice lessons and then I saw tennis. The more I thought about it the more it grew on me so I picked tennis. So when the new school year started, I started my classes and then two weeks later I would go to the college for tennis practice. Then an odd thing happened.

Roger Federer at Wimbledon, Hal and I were looking to Wimbledon as our goal.
In my World History class I made a friend, Hal. We seemed to both be slight tech geeks and history buffs. We got along great that first week of school and in the second week I discovered that he played tennis as well! And not only that, but we both were taking classes at the college. He was in an advanced class, but after a few short weeks, the coach asked me to move up and join the team with Hal.

That was the start of my first friend in a new land; my first non-Mormon friend; my first tennis buddy. We hung out together a lot for that next year and we discovered that he was half-Mormon and I was his long lost brother. That is how close we became. Then I had the chance to move back home with Nicholas and Hidalgo. I had been trying to get that from my mom for nearly 3 years and I had finally convinced her.

I still don’t know if I made the right decision, but Hal and I have drifted over the years since. We still stay in contact loosely and I am out to him and his entire family, but we have lost a lot of what I once had.

Comments:

There are 0 Words of Warning for My Four Friends – Hal