Coming Out to Mom – My Childhood OGT’s

Posted by BB | Labels: , , , | Posted On 14 December, 2009 at Monday, December 14, 2009

I, Beloved Boyd, am a Gay Mormon Boy and everything I say here is the truth to the best of my knowledge:

This week is all about my Mother, the woman who raised me from infancy to be one of the “noble and great ones,” and how I had to tell her that I was Gay. I told her this news just a few weeks after my most recent Moleskine post took place. However, the story began long before that because growing up I had several OGT’s that should have been an indicator to my Mom that her youngest son was a bit queer.

If this were a sitcom there would be a flashback to me in my mother’s nightgown, playing with her lipstick. However that didn’t happen with me, but there were other Obviously Gay Traits that should have been picked up on. Here they are:

1. Music
a. In kindergarten I started acting and hardly stopped, granted I was the warm body of a lion in the woods for my older sister Serena’s play, but I started a life on the stage.
b. When I was 7 or 8 I insisted on being in a performance troupe that sang and danced for random shows. I was a Yankee Doodle dandy and sang everywhere (cue flashback with sequins!)
c. In 6th grade I had a lead in a Shakespeare play, if only I would have listened to the advice given and been true to myself
Kurt Hummel played by Chris Colfer, a cute boy who is obviously gay and has all the OGT's to fit.d. In 7th grade I had the lead in the musical… I also helped my mom with the costumes.
e. At one point or another I played Piano, Clarinet, and Bass Clarinet.
f. I sang in choirs all over and even had my Primary teachers have me come back and perform “We’ll Bring the World His Truth” for the Primary program after I graduated Primary… Twice.
2. Sports
a. Soccer was the worst, granted I was like 6. I couldn’t stop using my hands, largely because I didn’t have pockets on my soccer pants. Really? I spent my time on the field wondering about the lack of pockets on clothes built for a sport without hands. – I still don’t know why they don’t have pockets BTW.
b. Baseball was hardly better, the only thing I could do was stand out in right field and wonder what type of snow cone I wanted, except the one time I caught a pop fly and one the game (true story)
c. Basketball. A game all about using your hands and guess what? The shorts all had pockets? WTH is up with that? I was better at the sport because I could steal, I couldn’t shoot though. My accuracy is so bad I couldn’t hit the broadside of a barn with a cannon.
d. Football was better, but I was angry by then so it worked. I still sucked!

These are just some of my characteristics that my mother saw but didn’t really noticed, tomorrow we will see the OGT that she had to confront.

Comments:

There are 3 Words of Warning for Coming Out to Mom – My Childhood OGT’s